Friday, July 23, 2010

Second Time Around

 

I can’t believe how much easier it is to make pasta with the right tools and appropriate ingredients. It’s more like play than cooking. Thanks to my little sister, I am now in possession of a Marcato Atlas 150 pasta roller. My life is immeasurably better! I also used appropriate ingredients.

Semolina from Dean’s Mediterranean Imports at Cincinnati’s Findlay Market, and Swans Down that appeared in my kitchen one morning after the bf went shopping.

clip_image002

I used 3 oz of each with just enough water to make it stick. I probably should have used more, but that’s what this process is about. Figuring out what works and having fun with food.

clip_image004

When the dough was made, I cleaned the machine with a bit of dough I wasn’t going to eat, and learned a rule of pasta machines. Never put clay-dough in a machine you want to use for food… I can’t complain, though. This lovely Italian job is third-hand and free. I got out most of the big pieces with the scrap dough and enough of the small pieces that the finished noodles didn’t have tiger stripes of orange and black clay.

I had so much fun with the cleaning, I almost didn’t want to make the noodles. Then when I made the noodles, I wanted to make another batch of dough. But I’m up too late already (job interview in the morning. Yay!) so I had better make this short and sweet.

Here’s the rolled dough.

clip_image006

Here’s the dough in the cutting process.

clip_image008

And here’s the finished product. In thanks to my sister, this is officially named Marian Fayettuccini. It went much faster and with a lot less hassle, but it wasn’t as tasty as the “rustic” egg noodles from my first try. I want to use an egg recipe on this roller very soon. Lunch tomorrow after the interview? I think that’s a fantastic idea!

clip_image010

No comments:

Post a Comment